Selectboard Meeting

January 7, 2008

                                                                                                                                    


Attending the meeting; Rob Bast, Andrea Morgante, Jon Trefry, Randy Volk, Howard Russell, Jeanne Wilson, Chris Morrell, Frank Koss, Fred Silber, Doug Olufsen, Rocky Martin, Jason Boivin, Bill Neil, Chuck Ross, Carl Bohlen, Dawn Francis, Bill Schubart,


Meeting called to order at 7:00 p.m.


Director of Buildings & Facilities Rocky Martin

Streetscape Improvements Project / Change Order to Contract with Don Weston Excavating: Rocky reviewed with the Board the expenses and revenue to date on the project. Howard moved that the Board vote to authorize the chair to sign the Change Order for Don Weston Excavating dated January 7, 2008.  This change order will increase the contract price from $146,332 to $167,181.35 (increase of $20,849.35), and will increase the completion date from December 1, 2007 to May 31, 2008.  Second by Jon and approved.


Wastewater Treatment Facility Upgrade & Expansion Project / Preliminary Engineering Report – Amendment #1:  Rocky said this is to address doing necessary work, also look at possible ways to get more allocation and look at Saputo in regards to possible changes they can make to change what they send us which will reduce their rates.  Also to look at impact of hook up fees and rates. Jon moved that the Board vote to authorize the chair to sign Amendment #1 to the contract with Forcier Aldrich & Associates for preliminary engineering associated with the WWTF Upgrade & Expansion Project, as outlined in the Scope of Services in the amendment, dated December 17, 2007, for an amount not to exceed $5,800.  Second by Andrea and approved. 



FY 08 – 09 Budget Planning Sessions

Public Safety Part 2 / Police Department – reviewed with Chris.  The major change is an increase of 5 hrs for part time work.  Howard asked with additional administrative help how that would effect patrol time, would it alleviate the problem of officers scheduled hours?

Randy suggested looking at increasing administrative time by 20 hrs rather than officer time by 5 hrs.  Chris said they need to acknowledge what is there right now for need.

Andrea said we should take the suggestion of the strategic plan to restructure.

Chris said requesting the additional 5 hrs could be patrol or administrative, this request is to get an amount in the budget now and they can take a closer look at where to best utilize additional hours at another time.

Vehicle purchase – Howard noted that if we will now be going to 4 vehicles it will result in the purchase of a vehicle each year unless the 2002 now becomes the back up vehicle replacing the 2000. Fred Silber spoke of the need to have 4 vehicles available for use by the Department.

Howard looked at lines where the actual has not supported the budgeted amount of past years such as evidence recovery, postage, telephone.  The Board advised Chris if the budget is lowered and something comes up so there is need to deficit spend he can come to the Board. 


Fixed Costs and Insurance – reviewed with Jeanne

            County Tax 

            Retirement 

            Unemployment Compensation 

            Liability & Workers’ Compensation Insurance 

            Group Health Insurance – will consider a change to a $500 deductible and put the out-of-pocket expense in the employees flex spending account.  Jeanne will check about the flex spending funds not used coming back to the Town.


Community Visit Task Force Chairs / Update on Task Force Activity and Request for Funding in FY 08 – 09 Budget – Carl Bohlen spoke for the task force.  They are requesting up to $10,000 to hire a consultant to assist in applying for grants as well as provide a local match.

Chuck spoke of the possibilities for connections between task force groups and the need for someone to suggest how this could be implemented.

Dawn said attendees at the Planners Assoc meeting were very impressed with what is going on in Hinesburg and the timing is right to request funding support from foundations.

Andrea feels the effort could become self-sustainable after some help to this started and will not need to continue to rely on Town support.

Howard requested a breakdown of what the $10,000 request will fund.  What would it cost to have a consultant work on this and what amount would be seed money.

Howard asked if they have looked at the NRG Foundation.  Dawn said they have approached them with a request and are waiting to hear back.


Other Business


Approve Warrants:  Randy moved that the Board vote to approve the warrants (including payroll warrants) for bills payable as presented by the Town Treasurer.  Second by Howard and approved.


Trial Balances for Water & Wastewater and General Fund Accounts for Period Ending 12/31/07:  Andrea moved that the Board vote to acknowledge receipt of the trial balances for the Water & Wastewater and the General Fund accounts for the period ending 12/31/07.  Second by Jon and approved.


Bittersweet Hill Stormwater Issue / Engineer’s Report:  Engineer Mike Weisel has reviewed the drainage proposal made by George Bedard on behalf of Carlene Emmons for the Emmons subdivision on Bittersweet Hill (off CVU Road).  Mike Weisel has provided written comments, and concluded that the proposed scenario will not have any significant impact on the ditch, the culverts or the downstream drainage course.  Jon moved that the Board vote to acknowledge acceptance of the stormwater diversion request of the Emmons Subdivision as outlined in plans entitled “Carlene Emmons – Storm water diversion request” by G.E. Bedard, Inc. and dated 12/17/07.  Second by Randy and approved.


Recreation Path Project / Amendment #2 to Cooperative Agreement with VTrans:  Jon moved that the Board vote to sign Amendment #2 to the Cooperative Agreement for Advancement of Municipal Project Hinesburg STP BIKE (22)S as prepared and signed by VTrans Secretary Neal Lunderville on December 7, 2007.  This amendment increases the total project costs (Federal, State 

                  

and local shares) to $1,870,500.  Second by Howard and approved.

Jon discussed with the Board the point that he feels the Town should not have to increase the Town’s share.  A letter will be drafter to VTrans Secretary Neal Lunderville stating the Town will do their best to keep cost to a minimum but feels we should not have to increase the Town’s share form 10 to 12%.


Parking for Land Trust Land on Lewis Creek Road / Andrea Morgante – Andrea advised the Land Trust is working on creating parking areas for access to lands on Lewis Creek Rd.   The Board needs to think about having these plowed.   It was briefly discussed that one option would be to sub contract the work as is done with landscaping work at Town cemeteries. 


Other Board Member Items

Jon brought up the past discussion regarding paving a portion of Texas Hill Rd and the fact that the Board has not given information on this or opportunity for input from residents.  The Board agreed there will be public meetings held before any final decision is made.  They are still also waiting for cost figures from Mike Anthony.


Rob advised the Board members that he will not be seeking re-election as he does not have the time to commit due to other obligations he has taken on at this point.


Outgoing Correspondence: 

Letter to Bolton Selectboard / CUSI Funding – reviewed and signed.


Jon moved the Board vote to adjourn, second by Howard and approved.


Respectfully submitted,


Valerie Spadaccini, secretary





Copyright © 2008 Town of Hinesburg, Vermont.