Selectboard Meeting

April 7, 2008


Attending the meeting; Jon Trefry, Andrea Morgante, Ken Brown, Randy Volk, Howard Russell, Jeanne Wilson, Alex Weinhagen, David and Barbara Lyman, George Dameron, Kristen Sharpless, Leon Lestage, Alan Norris, Bill Marks, Peter Erb, Stephen Cote, Fred Silber.


Meeting called to order at 7:01 p.m.


Public Comment

David Lyman asked when the tree that blew down between the Fire House and Police Station might be cleaned up.  Jeanne said the road crew is waiting for the ground to dry up some and then will take care of it.


George Dameron said clean up on the south side of the Charlotte Rd / Rt 116 intersection is needed.  Jeanne will look at this with George.


Leon Lestage, resident of Hollow Rd, expressed his concern with the higher speed limit on Hollow Road and the fact that there have been 4 major accidents in less than 30 days.  He feels drivers are exceeding the 45 mph limit.  He is asking for more speed enforcement and re visiting the posted limit.  Jeanne checked and found the last traffic count was done in 05 and reported 1500 trips per day.


Kristen Sharpless / Interview for Appointment to Conservation Commission – 

Kristen had previously served on a Conservation Commission in Starksboro.  She has attended the last two Conservation Commission meetings.


Howard asked Kristen what projects of the commission she is interested in. Kristen said she is interested in the management plan for the Bisonette project, the educational aspect as well as the open space plan. 


Discussion of Village Growth Area Rezoning & Subdivision Regulation Change Proposal

Jon stated he felt there were a lot of good ideas in the proposal and it was well written.  He said he does struggle with the idea of adoption prior to the official map or capital budget and impact fees.


Randy agreed that the official map is an important part of this.


Alex responded that due to lack of ww capacity development will be limited at this time.


Andrea asked what the demographics are of parties looking to do projects.


Alex gave examples of existing businesses looking to expand / developers looking to bring in a business / and mixed use development.


Ken asked Alex if he had a guess as to when the map might be done.


Alex said there is money in the upcoming FY budget to work on the map and they would like to start as soon as funds are available.


Howard asked if they have thought about sequencing for phasing in changes.


Alex said the Planning Commission recommends adopting as one unit.


Howard said as this is tied into rural density and rural zoning he feels a need to sequence.


Jon stated when the bond vote for expansion of the sewer system failed he felt it was a voice of opposition to development in the village.


Alex said the Planning Commission did discuss some the need to have a plan in place to work from when allocation is available.


Howard does not feel the ww question needs to be approved before the plan.  He believes the primary concern was residents not having access to the system being required to pay for it.


Andrea said she is very uncomfortable in talking about an increase of this magnitude in the density without looking at rural at the same time.


Ken asked how we get to the spot where the Selectboard gets the whole picture if after two years of work the SB is given only a piece of the picture.


Howard replied the PC did say they were working on the village first with assurances they would then be working on the rural and the SB had not ask them to do otherwise.


Alex said the SB can approve interim zoning if they feel they need to.


Barbara Lyman said she has sat at meetings for two years now and wondered why these concerns were not previously addressed.


Alex said the PC was aware of this concern.


Jon said he hears concerns of the growth center proposal that it will cost more and taxes will go up and it will result in a need for more infrastructures.


Alex said that is a correct assumption – it will require more money.


Peter Erb asked if one will have to connect to Town sewer or can do something on site if possible.  


He was advised under the new regulation you will have to connect; currently there is no mandatory ww connection.


George Dameron agrees with Howard that work the PC had done is commendable but the Town should not go ahead with absence of a capital budget or official map.  He asked if he SB could work in conjunction with the PC as they work through these tricky issues.


David Lyman said omitted in this discussion are the needs of residents such as the possibility of a drug store.


Peter said NRG needs to expand and encourages the SB to think about that fact when looking at approval of the proposal.


Alan Norris said he does not understand the concern with rural zoning as it is currently very difficult to build in the rural areas. He also does not agree with choosing who will or will not get sewage – why would someone with a viable project be denied just because of location.


Steve Cote disagrees; he lives in south Hinesburg and says there is no problem with siting septic for development.


Jon asked about a possible time frame for the rural piece.


Alex said he has no real idea – perhaps in the fall.


David pointed out there are two sides to the coin.  How can the Town responsibly not approve expansion of NRG and how can they say yes to NRG and not others.


Howard said the SB did make the decision on the zoning change based on consensus of Boards approval of the change for construction of NRG.


Steve said he hears NRG being mentioned – where will they stop?  In 1997 when NRG asked for approval for a change in the zoning to allow them to build where they are they said they would only have 34 employees and now they keep growing.


Jon replied they anticipated growing to 90 employees.


Alex added when zoning changed in 02 NRG came forward with the higher number.


Andrea asked Alex what the density not counting community land is at Creekside, Lyman Meadows, and Hillside.


Alex said Creekside is 6 units per acre.  He is not sure of the others.


Alan added he believes multi family is a better way to go to get the density and be cost effective.


George supports the idea of building out some real life scenarios for impact on village residents.


Howard gave an example of his idea on how to move forward with sequencing.


Steve said he feels talking of village and rural separately is not good.  He encouraged looking at the Town as a whole not separate.


Alan noted in regards to waiting for the public hearing to make adjustments to the proposal that he feels it will just be the same points raised.


Bill Marks said he attended the Village Growth Forum and in regards to the general vision of where the village should go he recalls the NW section was where people least wanted expansion to take place.


April 21 the Selectboard will meet with Alex to go over their specific questions on the proposed changes.


Deputy Chief Fred Silber / Personnel Discussion – Andrea moved the Board go into executive session with Chief Silber and Jeanne Wilson for personnel discussion and any other legal and personnel issues after Fred is finished.  Second by Howard and approved.


Andrea moved the Board come out of executive session, second by Howard and approved.


Other Business

Approve Warrants:  Randy moved that the Board vote to approve the warrants (including payroll warrants) for bills payable as presented by the Town Treasurer. Second by Howard and approved. 


Minutes of March 24, 2008:  Randy moved that the Board vote to approve the minutes of March 24, 2008 as written, second by Howard and approved. 


Minutes of 2008 Annual Town Meeting:  Howard moved that the Board vote to approve the minutes of the 2008 Annual Town Meeting, held on Monday, March 3, 2008 as amended.  Second by Randy and approved.  


Trial Balance for Water & Wastewater and General Fund Accounts for Period Ending 3/31/08:  Andrea moved that the Board vote to acknowledge receipt of the trial balance for water & wastewater and the general fund accounts for the period ending 3/31/08. Second by Howard and approved.  


VTrans Right-of-Way Agreement for the Realignment of the Silver Street / Route 116 Intersection:  Randy moved that the Board vote to authorize the Town Agent to sign the Quit-Claim Deed prepared by the Agency of Transportation, to release to the State of Vermont all right, title and interest in a parcel of land, parcel #1A (located on the south east corner of the Route 116 / Silver Street intersection) consisting of 1,260 square feet, more or less, land and the rights therein, as shown on right-of-way detail sheet 1 and right-of-way sheet 9 of the plans of Transportation Project Hinesburg HES 021-1(20).  The deed outlines temporary easements for construction, approach, landscaping, ditching, slopes & embankments, and one permanent easement to discharge water onto Town land. Second by Howard and approved. 



Request to Serve Alcohol at Fire Station for Private Reception / Donald & Laurel Palmer on August 9, 2008:  Andrea moved that the Board vote to approve a request by Donald & Laurel Palmer for permission to serve alcohol at the fire station for a private reception on Saturday, August 9, 2008 from 1:00 pm to 6:00 pm, subject to the following conditions:


A responsible person over 21 years of age will be designated to be “in charge” of the event and to monitor alcohol use at the event to ensure that there is no underage drinking and that intoxicated persons do not drive; and


A “Don’t Drink and Drive” poster shall be posted at the entrance to the event, naming the responsible person and offering the services of the responsible person to arrange safe trips home.  


Second by Howard and approved.


EPA Community Energy Challenge / Letter of Commitment:   Howard moved that the Board vote to authorize the Chair to sign the EPA New England’s Community Energy Challenge letter of commitment, to protect the environment through the continuous improvement of the town’s energy performance. Second by Andrea and approved.  


Andrea also suggested that the Energy & Sustainability Task Force consider reviewing Town vehicle fuel usage and possibilities for reduction in fuel usage.


Appointment of Town Service Officer:  Andrea moved that the Board vote to appoint Kathleen Patten as the Town of Hinesburg Service Officer, to serve a one-year term, which will expire on April 14, 2009.  Kathleen will assume the duties of the Town’s Service Officer as a portion of her duties as the newly hired coordinator for the Community Resource Center. Second by Howard and approved. 


Appointment to the Trails Committee:  The Board has received a letter of interest in an appointment to the Trails Committee from Jason Reed of Lincoln Hill Road.  There is currently one vacancy on the committee.  Ken moved that the Board vote to appoint Jason Reed to the Trails Committee to fill a vacancy with a term which will expire on February 1, 2010.  Second by Randy and approved. 


Appointment to the Conservation Commission:  Howard moved that the Board vote to appoint Kristen Sharpless to the Conservation Commission to fill a vacancy with a term which will expire on September 30, 2010. Second by Randy and approved.


Other Board Member Items (Baptist Lot – Andrea)  Andrea advised that she had received a call from Keith Roberts of the United Church, inquiring whether the Town was interested in acquiring the Baptist Lot on Silver Street.  The Board agreed to draft a letter for the next meeting, indicating the Town’s interest in acquiring this lot.


Andrea made a motion that the Town utilizes the insurance payment for the damaged W&WW truck to replace the 2006 Ford Ranger with a vehicle of comparable size.  Seconded by Howard and approved. 


Outgoing Correspondence


Response letter to Hidden Hill Road Association regarding planned work at the Pond Road / Aube Ridge Road intersection reviewed and signed.


At 11:00 pm, Andrea made a motion that the Board adjourn, seconded by Howard and approved.


Respectfully submitted,


Valerie Spadaccini, secretary




Copyright © 2008 Town of Hinesburg, Vermont.