Selectboard Meeting

April 14, 2008

                                                                                                                      

Attending the meeting: Jon Trefry, Andrea Morgante, Ken Brown, Randy Volk, Howard Russell, Jeanne Wilson, Al Barber, Chris Morrell, Mike Anthony, Fred Silber, Steve Cote.


Meeting called to order at 7:00 p.m.


Highway Foreman Michael Anthony / Discussion of Town Vehicle Inspections - Mike advised the Board that municipalities can inspect their own vehicles. He requested approval for purchase of equipment – to be approx $1500.00 required to do State inspections on Town vehicles.  It appears that this will be more cost effective than the current practice of taking vehicles to inspection stations.  The Board approved the purchase pending approval of self inspection by the Town’s insurance carrier.  The cost for the equipment will be spilt between the departments with vehicles using funds from vehicle maintenance.


Work Session on Capital Plan and Budget – 

Discussed impact fees and how to identify a need that will qualify for the fees without being too specific to give the Town some flexibility on use of funds.

Ken asked if a request from a department is included in the capital budget are we obligated to spend that money. 

The Board replied the Town is not obligated and if impact fees are collected for a particular need or purchase that then does not take place the fees can be refunded.


Al said the building addition for the Fire Dept needs to have the FY date changed and increase the amount to $700,000.  


Jeanne said she will update information according to what she currently has and distribute that to the department heads for review.  She will provide an updated spreadsheet to the Selectboard to work from with the new information.


Randy asked if other Board members agreed with the breakdown of categories – Building & Facilities / Fire / Police / and Highway.

Discussed was the possibility of creating a Public Safety category for the combined Police / Fire Dept building.  Jon said he feels for now they should continue to be kept in separate categories.


Howard addressed the highway discussion in regards to width of roads.  If a consensus is being formed that roads will be paved to the 24ft width, is this driven by increased development and increased traffic as well as increased bicycle or pedestrian use?  Howard feels the Town then needs to include striping on the roads to define vehicle lanes and the Highway capital budget needs to reflect all costs associated with increased width of the roads. 


Steve Cote said the Town needs to take into consideration bridges.  Will the new bridge on Silver St be wide enough to allow pedestrian and bicycle use.  The Board replied that the bridge is designed to include those uses.


Randy wanted the Board members to think about if they feel impact fees are worth the necessary work to implement them given how little is actually eligible when assessing fees.  He wanted to know the administrative costs associated with impact fees.

Howard said there is concern of new development resulting in costs to Town taxpayers. By adopting impact fees it gives taxpayers the message that the Selectboard is doing what they can to help control costs to the taxpayers.


Ken asked about the reserve funds chart.  The Police Dept shows a large expenditure in 2012.  Jeanne said she believes that reflects the new police station.


Andrea noted projects that do not show up on the capital budget such as; the Veterans memorial park upgrade of monuments /  expenses that could happen on the Masons building / municipal parking and center road.  She would recommend an inventory of bridges and culverts identifying those that are undersized.   Mike said he has done an inventory and any time they replace a culvert they install a larger one.

Jeanne said she could work on projecting those costs further.

Noted was the need to include energy conservation under buildings and facilities.  Jeanne said she will be increasing any work on buildings by 5% to allow for that.


Andrea asked about open space funding.  Could a reserve fund be set up for land acquisition by charging a fee for building outside the village area?  Randy said he is not sure there is a legal argument to back that up.


Other Business

Approve Warrants:  Randy moved that the Board vote to approve the warrants (including payroll warrants) for bills payable as presented by the Town Treasurer. Second by Andrea and approved. 


Minutes of April 7, 2008:  Randy moved that the Board vote to approve the minutes of April 7, 2008 as corrected, second by Howard and approved.  


Road Cut Permit / Haulenbeek on Baldwin Road:  This request is to relocate and upgrade an existing farm access drive.  There is no current application for residential development on this drive; however this is a possibility in the future.  Randy moved that the Board vote to approve the road cut permit application of Jamie Ciffo and Andrea Haulenbeek  for a road cut on Baldwin Road (Tax Map # 11-01-05.00) as outlined in the permit dated 4/8/08, subject to the terms and conditions placed on the permit by the Highway Foreman and all state and local permits governing the development of this parcel. Second by Andrea and approved.


Road Cut Permit / Flash on Burritt Road:  This road cut is part of a one-lot subdivision, which has received final approval from the DRB.  Andrea moved that the Board vote to approve the road cut permit application of Suki Flash for a road cut on Burritt Road (a subdivision of Tax Map # 08-01-60.10) as outlined in the permit dated 11/21/07, subject to the terms and conditions placed on the permit by the Highway Foreman and all state and local permits governing the development of this parcel. Second by Howard and approved.


Letter from Delinquent Tax Collector / Retaining Attorney for Tax Sale:  The Board has received a letter from Delinquent Tax Collector Melissa Ross, asking the Board to approve retaining the firm of Kohn Rath & Meyer for the purpose of conducting tax sales.  Randy moved that the Board vote to retain the firm of Kohn Rath & Meyer to conduct a tax sale, as outlined in their letter dated 2/15/08. Second by Howard and approved.


Green Up Day / May 3, 2008:  Green Up Day is scheduled for Saturday, May 3.  Town trucks will be used to pick up bags, and also to deliver material to CSWD on Monday, May 5.


Discussion of Letter to Comcast / Invoice for Damage to Cable on Pond Brook Road:  The Town has received an invoice from Comcast in the amount of $347.07 for damage to cable on Pond Brook Road on 8/30/07 by the Highway Department within the Town’s ROW.  Dig Safe was contacted prior to the work at outlined in Title 30 VSA §§ 7001 – 7008.  Line marking by On Target indicated that there were two buried lines, which were located by the Highway Department.  As it turns out, there were four buried lines, and two were damaged.  A response letter was reviewed by the Board and Mike Anthony and signed.


Other Board Member Items  - 

Ken asked about the Pond Rd paving project.  Mike will get the costs to the Board again for the 24ft width.


Andrea is concerned if there is adequate room to do the work and wants to know what is involved in building out to the 24 ft width.


Mike said they will be marking the road and speaking with residents on the road about it.


Howard is concerned with going to the 24ft width if we will not be striping it as that just results in wide roads which encourage higher speeds.


Jeanne will contact Mike Weisel to do engineering work on the road.


Randy moved the Board vote to sign amendment #1 STPEH05(22) to the enhancement grant for the streetscape project between Town Hall and Saputo.  


Second by Howard and approved.


Andrea requested the Town fly an Earth Flag at Town Hall on Earth Day, she can supply the flag.  The Board gave approval.


Outgoing Correspondence


Response letter to Hinesburg United Church regarding Baptist Lot on Silver Street reviewed and signed.


Follow-up letter to Deputy Chief Fred Silber regarding personnel discussion at 4/7/08 meeting reviewed and signed.


Andrea moved the Board go into executive session with Jeanne and Chris Morrell for personnel and legal discussion.  Second by Howard and approved.

Andrea moved the Board come out of executive session and adjourn, second by Howard and approved.


Respectfully submitted,

Valerie Spadaccini, secretary




Copyright © 2008 Town of Hinesburg, Vermont.