Selectboard Meeting

July 28, 2008


Attending the meeting; Jon Trefry, Andrea Morgante, Ken Brown, Randy Volk, Howard Russell, Jeanne Wilson, Rocky Martin, Mike Anthony, Martha Keenan


Meeting called to order at 7:00 p.m.


Municipal Wastewater System Use Ordinance / Continued Discussions on Revisions and Adoption of Ordinance:   The Board reviewed with Rocky the latest suggested changes by the Town Attorney.  Jon closed the comment period at 7:25 p.m.


Howard moved that the Board vote to adopt the revised Municipal Wastewater System Use Ordinance, which will become effective on September 26, 2008 (60 days after adoption), following public posting and publication of notice of the ordinance in conformity with the requirements of V.S.A. Title 24, Chapter 59, provided that no petition is filed on or before September 10, 2008, in accordance with V.S.A. Title 24 § 1973.  Second by Randy and approved.

 

Highway Foreman Michael Anthony Review of Plans for Pond Road Improvements – The Board reviewed the plans.  The road will be paved 24’ wide, with 9’ striped lanes, and 4’ packed gravel shoulders where possible and 2” of asphalt on top.


Award of Paving Bids:  The following bids were received:

• ST Paving: Reclamation = $1.05 / sq. yd; Paving = $69.80 / ton

• Pike:  Reclamation = $1.28 / sq. yd; Paving = $70.74 / ton

• Whitcomb:  Reclamation = $0.87 / sq. yd; Paving = $72.74 / ton

• AC Paving:  Reclamation = $1.50 / sq. yd; Paving = $72.75 / ton


Andrea moved the Board vote to award the contract to ST Paving according to the plans designed by Mike Weisel and reviewed by the highway foreman Mike Anthony.  Second by Ken and approved.


Purchase of Highway Pick Up Truck – Andrea moved the Board vote to authorize Mike Anthony to purchase the Ford F350 from Heritage for $32,211 and for the Town to sell the current truck when the new truck arrives.  Second by Ken and approved.


Increase in Salt Storage Capacity – The Board agreed to Mike’s proposal to increase the size of the salt storage shed.


Class 4 Section of Burritt Road:  Letter drafted to property owner was reviewed and revised.


Mike said he was contacted by David Tucker, resident on Richmond Road, regarding drainage in the area of his home.  Mike said the drainage needs improving in that area, and the Board asked that the entire area be evaluated to address stormwater improvements for budget time.


Martha Keenan, NRG Systems / Construction of Sidewalk to Connect NRG to Commerce Street- 

NRG had planned to construct an elevated walkway from NRG property on Riggs Rd connecting to Commerce St by the storage facility.   Martha presented a request for a revised location to construct a pathway from Commerce St to Riggs Rd along Rt 116.  This will be a 5ft wide paved asphalt path to Patrick Brook with a bridge to cross the brook and then continuing with a 6 ft wide paved path to Riggs Rd.


Randy asked if the path would be maintained by NRG.  Martha said it would with the expectation the Town would eventually maintain it.


This section of sidewalk is not on the list of priorities for the Town, but the Board was in favor of the change in location for this path from the previously proposed elevated path.


Howard asked they be sure the connection to the mowed path from NRG to CVU Rd is obvious. 


Other Business

Approve Warrants:  Ken moved that the Board vote to approve the warrants (including payroll warrants) for bills payable as presented by the Town Treasurer, second by Howard and approved.

 

Minutes of July 14, 2008:  Howard moved that the Board vote to approve the minutes of July 14, 2008 as corrected.  Second by Randy and approved. 


Trial Balances for Water & Wastewater and General Fund Accounts for Period Ending 6/30/08:  Howard moved that the Board vote to acknowledge receipt of the trial balances for the Water & Wastewater and General Fund accounts for the period ending 6/30/08. Second by Randy and approved.


Reserve Funds From FY 07 – 08:  Andrea moved that the Board vote to approve the following FY 07 – 08 Reserve Funds:


Sidewalks $19,406.47

Streetscape Project $33,986.24

Recreation Path $62,208.18

Land Preservation $14,931.00

Records Restoration $24,200.70

Records/Print, Bind & Microfilm $  7,078.25

Police Vehicle $16,500.00

Police Station Upgrade $  9,536.36

PC Professional Services $  3,000.00

Recreation $10,696.85

Reappraisal $41,374.10

Highway / Pick Up Truck $17,500.00

Highway / Garage $20,000.00

Fire Department / Landscaping $24,700.00

Tree Planting $  2,263.88

July 4 Fund $     612.84

Conservation Commission $  6,820.53


Total Reserves      $314,815.50

Second by Ken and approved.


Corrections to the Lodged Grand List:  The Board has received a request from the Board of Listers to approve corrections to the lodged Grand List due to errors or omissions of the part of the Listers or due to late filing of the HS-122 form with the State.  There were two items on the list the Board had questions on.  Item 3 – increase in acreage but no value noted, and item 6 – remove structure and no value given.


Randy moved that the Board vote to approve corrections to the Lodged Grand List as outlined in the letters from the Hinesburg Board of Listers dated 7/24/08 and 7/28/08. Second by Howard and approved.


Appointment of Alternate Representative to Chittenden County Regional Planning Commission:  Andrea moved that the Board vote to re-appoint David Hirth as Hinesburg’s Alternate Representative to the Chittenden County Regional Planning Commission for a two-year term, which will expire on July 31, 2010. Second by Randy and approved.


Andrea moved that the Board vote to accept the resignation of Penrose Jackson as Hinesburg’s Representative to the Chittenden County Regional Planning Commission effective July 31, 2008.  Second by Howard and approved.


Appointments to the Affordable Housing Committee:  Andrea moved that the Board vote to re-appoint Carl Bohlen and Kellie Stoll to the Affordable Housing Committee for two-year terms, which will expire on July 31, 2010.  Second by Howard and approved.


Review and Set Wastewater Capacity Allocation and Connection Fees:  Howard moved that the Board vote to establish the fee payable upon application for wastewater treatment capacity allocation at $ 11.91 per gallon.  Second by Ken and approved.  


Sustainable Community Project / Contract with VHB Pioneer:  The Sustainable Community Project committee issued an RFP to approximately 12 consultants for assistance with a feasibility assessment of the sustainability initiatives explored by the four task forces, and to research and secure grant funding to fund the initiatives determined to be priority initiatives.  Two proposals were received – from VHB Pioneer and from Yellow Wood Associates – both for the $10,000 budgeted amount.  Based on the scope of work provided, approach to the project outlined and work on similar projects, the committee selected VHB Pioneer.  Randy moved that the Board vote to authorize Rocky Martin to sign the agreement with VHB Pioneer for the “Sustainability Initiative Grant Project Development” as outlined in the proposal dated May 29, 2008 for an amount not to exceed $10,000. Second by Howard and approved.


Discussion of Federal Vehicle Weight Limits on Interstate Highways:  With recent concerns about fuel costs, environmental issues, safety issues and quality of life issues, many towns in Vermont, especially those located adjacent to interstate highways, are questioning the Federal government’s 80,000 lb. vehicle weight limit for interstate highways.  VLCT has sent out a request for feedback from municipalities on whether they would support a statewide initiative to support requesting a waiver of the Federal vehicle weight limit for interstate highways in Vermont.  Howard moved that the Board vote to support a statewide initiative for a waiver of the Federal vehicle weight limit for interstate highways.  Second by Randy and approved.


Correspondence from the Bissonette Town Forest Planning Committee

Appointment of members of the BTF Planning Committee:  Howard moved that the Board vote to appoint Kristen Sharpless, Matt Probasco, Susan Mead, Andrea Morgante, Paul Wiezoreck, Jean Isham, Lenore Budd and Stewart Pierson to the Bissonette Town Forest Planning Committee.  Second by Randy and approved.


Discussion of proposed process for the drafting of a management plan for the BTF.  The Board recommended a change in the date the plan is to be drafted by.


Modifications to existing management plan:  Howard moved that the Board vote to approve a modification to the interim management plan for the Bissonette Town Forest to require that the planning committee and the Selectboard receive a project plan and give it written approval before any projects, maintenance or management occurs on the land prior to the completion of the final management plan.  Second by Andrea and approved.


Discussion of inclusion on the Town website of information relating to the Bissonette Town Forest. The Board was in favor of this.


Discussion of mowing of hayfield in the SW part of parcel 1 in August:  Due to the short notice this year and Wayne Bissonette’s experience haying the hayfield in the SW part of parcel 1. Howard moved that the Board vote to approach Wayne to see if he would be interested in mowing the field for the value of the hay, second by Ken and approved.


Letter to Michael Snyder, County Forester:  Ken moved that the Board vote to approve signing a letter to County Forester Michael Snyder, requesting his technical assistance to the BTF planning committee in the development of the management plan, and to assist the committee in securing formal designation for the property as a municipal forest from the Commissioner of the Vermont Department of Forests, Parks and Recreation.  Second by Howard and approved.


Correspondence from Greg Tomczyk / Status of Roads in Creekside:  Engineer Mike Weisel met with the developer’s engineer, Lance Llewellyn on Monday, July 21.  Llewellyn presented an alternative plan for addressing the drainage issues on the roads.  Mike Weisel was supportive of the plan, and presented it to Highway Foreman Mike Anthony, who is also supportive of the plan.  The developer will work with Llewellyn to develop cost estimates, which will be forwarded to Mike Weisel when complete (in approximately 1 week).  Once everyone has agreed on the plan, the improvements will be made – definitely during this construction season, according to the developer.

The Board discussed how this might effect the warranty period.  Also brought up again the question of the developers funds that should be held by the Town – Jeanne will check with the Town Agent on this again and ask him to attend the SB meeting so the Board can discuss this with him.


The Board asked Jeanne to draft a letter to Greg on the status of the Town taking over the roads.


Other Board Member Items – 

Jeanne reported that Police Chief, Chris Morrell, contacted her regarding the purchase of the new police vehicle.  Andrea moved the Board authorize Chris Morrell to make a decision on the purchase and spend up to $33,000 to purchase a new Tahoe for the police department with all accessories needed.  Second by Ken and approved. 


Howard moved the Board vote to authorize the hiring of Chris Bataille as a full time officer if Kim Conant does not satisfactorily complete the physical fitness test on August 5th to enter the academy.  Second by Ken and approved.


Howard moved the Board go into executive session for Discussion of Legal & Personnel Issues, second by Andrea and approved.

Howard moved the Board come out of executive session and adjourn, second by Andrea and approved.


Respectfully submitted,


Valerie Spadaccini, secretary



Upcoming Meetings


Monday, August 11th

6:15 Site visit for Lincoln Hill historical marker / meet at intersection of North Road and Lincoln Hill Road


7:15 Interview with DRB alternate candidate Amy Escott


Monday, August 25th

Work Session on Village Zoning Bylaw

Meeting with VLCT / Zoning Bylaw for Telecommunications Facilities




Copyright © 2008 Town of Hinesburg, Vermont.