Selectboard Meeting

September 15, 2008


Attending the meeting; Jon Trefry, Andrea Morgante, Ken Brown, Randy Volk, Howard Russell, Jeanne Wilson, Wayne Elliot, Richard Palmer, Frank Koss, Charles Kogge, George Dameron, Alex Weinhagen.


Meeting called to order at 7:00 p.m.


Wayne Elliot, Forcier Aldrich & Associates / Discussion of Saputo Wastewater Contract:  Randy moved that the Board go into executive session with Wayne Elliot to discuss negotiations on a legal contract with Saputo Foods. Second by Howard and approved.

Howard moved that the Board come out of executive session, second by Andrea and approved.


Alex Weinhagen / Sustainable Community Project / Review of Sustainability Initiative Proposal

The Board reviewed with Alex three project opportunities.

Jon asked Andrea about her idea of composting waste products from Saputo that have been trucked to the Intervale as it is not noted in the Renewable Energy in Agriculture project.  The Board would like to include investigating use of Saputo waste as part of the biomass project.  

Jon asked if it could be added as a part of the grant.  Alex said he would need to have conversations with Saputo.

Andrea said she believed that is what the grant is for – to get information on how the waste can be used so the Town can go to Saputo with information on markets and such.

Alex said if the Board wants to have that included he will make sure the actual grant application includes that.


Discussion of Village Growth Area Rezoning Proposal

Alex informed the Board the revised copy is not available for review yet.

The Board discussed with Alex the village NW area.   Jon asked since the NW is not in the sewer service area can the Board adopt the rezoning including the NW, still leaving the NW out of the service area for now?  If in the new zoning districts they must connect to sewer and it is not available it takes away the possibility of development in that area.

Alex said one way to control growth and pace in allocation areas is through the allocation policy.   Andrea noted to do so would require a new allocation policy be written. Alex said the change could be in allocation percentages.  Give priority zoning areas more allocation.

Howard said this seems to be another way of phasing by using sewer allocation to favor building in some areas and not others.

Randy said he would rather see phasing and does not favor using sewer allocation as a tool to control growth.

This led to discussion again of the need for the official map.  Jon suggested finding out what is required to adopt an official map.  Alex will work with Jeanne on this.


Ken asked how easy it is to revise an official map.  If it is not difficult it will give more leeway to move the process forward.


Other Business


Approve Warrants:  Howard moved that the Board vote to approve the warrants (including payroll warrants) for bills payable as presented by the Town Treasurer.  Second by Randy and approved.

 

Minutes of September 8, 2008:  Randy moved that the Board vote to approve the minutes of September 8, 2008 as amended.  Second by Andrea and approved with Howard abstaining. 


Road Cut Permit / Richard Palmer on Richmond Road:  Ken moved that the Board vote to approve the road cut permit application of Richard Palmer, for a road cut on Richmond Road (Tax Map #05-01-01.00) for agricultural purposes and for access to the garage, as outlined in the permit dated 09/09/08, subject to the terms and conditions placed on the permit by the Highway Foreman and all state and local permits governing the development of this parcel.  Second by Randy.

Andrea questioned the wetlands determination as the motion states subject to all state and local permits.  There is impact to 1000 sq ft of wetland and a 2000 sq ft buffer zone.   There is a 30 day comment period on the wetland determination.

The wetland issue is not a part of the driveway permit and does not need to be addressed as such.

Motion voted and approved.


Buried Utility Permit / Bissonette on Gilman Road:  A buried utility permit application has been received from Wayne Bissonette to install electric power cable in the Town’s right of way on Gilman Road.  Green Mountain Power has provided both the GMP Service Requirements (for services under 600 volts) and a written statement that GMP will own and maintain the underground services to the top side of the meter, and will be responsible for the wire and conduit once it is energized; GMP does not take responsibility for damage to the road, since they are not doing the installation.  Randy moved that the Board vote to approve the buried utility permit of Wayne Bissonette to install electric power cable in the right of way on Gilman Road as outlined in the permit dated 8/28/08, subject to the terms and conditions of the permit and any other additional terms and conditions placed on the permit by the Highway Foreman. Second by Andrea and approved.


Appointment to the Village Steering Committee:  Terms of appointment on the VSC for Donna Constantineau, Rolf Kielman and Karla Munson expire on October 1, 2008.  Both Rolf and Karla have expressed interest in a reappointment.  Howard moved that the Board vote to reappoint Rolf Kielman and Karla Munson to the Village Steering Committee for two-year terms, which will expire on October 1, 2010.  Second by Randy and approved.


Appointment to the Conservation Commission:  Terms of appointment on the Conservation Commission for Robert Farley, Melissa Levy and Charles Kogge expire on September 30, 2008.  All three have expressed interest in a reappointment.  Howard moved that the Board vote to reappoint Robert Farley, Melissa Levy and Charles Kogge to the Conservation Commission for four-year terms, which will expire on September 30, 2012.  Second by Andrea and approved.


Appointment to the Affordable Housing Committee:  The Board has received a letter of interest in an appointment to the Affordable Housing Committee from Karolyn Realms, who lives on Lewis Creek Road.  Karolyn is a realtor, and has previous experience with affordable housing issues from working with Champlain Housing Trust.  Andrea moved that the Board vote to appoint Karolyn Realms to the Affordable Housing Committee, to fill a vacancy with a term which will expire on July 31, 2010.  Second by Howard and approved.


Use of Town Gravel Pit by Hinesburg Community Police for Fire Arms Training:  Current options for necessary fire arms training for our police officers are 1) Laberge’s in Shelburne, where there is a charge for use; 2) the firing range in Underhill, where there is no charge, but it is a long distance and use has to be scheduled around availability.  The Police Department has approached the Highway Department about use of the gravel pit for intermittent firearms training.  The Highway Department is agreeable, and the Zoning Administrator has confirmed that this would be a permitted use.  Andrea moved that the Board vote to allow Hinesburg Community Police Officers use of the Town’s gravel pit for intermittent firearms training, subject to conditions established by the Selectboard; should complaints arise regarding this usage, the Police Department will promptly address the concerns.  Second by Ken.

The Board wanted to know how often and what hours would this take place.  The Board asked for the following conditions; notification to neighbors / used at reasonable hours / co-ordination with the Highway Dept.

Motion voted and approved.


Proposal for Speed Study / Resource Systems Group, Inc.:  A proposal and scope of work to investigate speed limits on Shelburne Falls Road, Charlotte Road and sections of Silver Street and Mechanicsville Road has been received from Resource Systems Group, Inc. (RSG).  The proposed fee for the study is $4,700.  Ken moved that the Board vote to authorize Resource Systems Group, Inc. to complete a speed study on the entire length of Shelburne Falls Road, the entire length of Charlotte Road, the segment of Silver Street from Route 116 to Coyote Ridge Road, and the entire length of Mechanicsville Road, for a fee not to exceed $4,700.  Second by Andrea.

The purpose of focus on these roads is to reduce speed coming into the Village.

Frank Koss referred to problem areas of Richmond and North roads.  Howard asked if we do not have the survey done can the Town still change the limits.  Frank said there is information available the Town can utilize to aid in setting limits and had a booklet about doing so.

The Board discussed the fact that money was not included in the budget specifically for this project.

Motion was voted down.


Discussion of Sidewalk on Mechanicsville Road / WCVT:  As a condition of their permit, Waitsfield Champlain Valley Telecom is required to install a sidewalk on Mechanicsville Road along the road frontage for the property.  WCVT has submitted a proposal for the installation.  The proposal has been reviewed by the Highway Foreman and the Director of Buildings & Facilities, and they have provided additional comments / conditions. 

Rocky’s comments are; have catch basin or clean out / have a pre construction meeting / sidewalk curve radiuses will be greater then shown on sketch / slope from parking lot be a smooth transition / cast iron truncated dome to ADA compliance installed at both ends of the sidewalk / WCVT shall grant a 15’ wide easement to the Town for any and all portions outside the Town right of way, easement shall be for maintenance, repair or replacement. 

Plans and Rocky’s comments reviewed by the Selectboard.   They want WCVT to be asked to consider the sidewalk being a straight line and are still requiring the culvert.

. 

Discussion of Forest Legacy Program / The Board reviewed and signed the letter prepared by Andrea.


Discussion of Wastewater Rates:  Director of Buildings & Facilities Rocky Martin has prepared and forwarded to the Board background information on rates for wastewater users, with the goal of establishing new rates later this fall.

The Board is considering alternative #3 which gives a rate increase that affects both flat fee and usage fee.  This will encourage conservation while allowing enough revenue to keep the system operational.


Tax Sale / Appointment of Agent to Represent the Town:  The Board has received a letter from David Rath of Kohn, Rath & Meyer, LLP, regarding a tax sale on October 2, 2008.  The letter advises that the Selectboard will need to appoint an agent to bid on behalf of the town at the tax sale.  Ken moved that the Board appoint Town Administrator, Jeanne Wilson, as its designated agent to bid on behalf of the town at the tax sale scheduled for October 2, 2008. Second by Howard and approved. Jeanne will check on information regarding the Town bidding $1 for properties no one else bids on to make the transaction cleaner.


Review of Agreement with Forcier Aldrich & Associates for Engineering Services / Wastewater System Upgrade Project:  Howard moved that the Board vote to authorize the Chair to sign the agreement with Forcier, Aldrich and Associates for pre-design and permitting services for the wastewater treatment facility upgrade project as outlined in the Scope of Services dated September 15, 2008, for a fee not to exceed $20,700.  Second by Howard and approved.


Other Board Member Items

Jeanne was asked about the status of the tax appeal by Denis Place.   She advised he is still waiting for the appeal decision from the State.


Additions to the Agenda


Road Cut Permit / Paul Truax (d.b.a. Dutrieux, LLC) on Sherman Hollow Road:  This application is for a drive to access a single family home on an existing lot (not part of a subdivision).  Ken moved that the Board vote to approve the road cut permit application of Paul Truax (d.b.a. Dutrieux, LLC), for a road cut on Sherman Hollow Road (Tax Map #06-01-30.01), as outlined in the permit dated 09/09/08, subject to the terms and conditions placed on the permit by the Highway Foreman and all state and local permits governing the development of this parcel.  Second by Howard and approved.


Maintenance of Roads in Creekside – The Board asked Jeanne to inform Mike Anthony he should be planning on maintaining the roads this winter.


Correspondence from Cook / Miskavage – Recreation Path on Richmond Road.

Jeanne will respond to them stating this is out of the village priority area, when the rec path is completed this will become a higher priority.


Upcoming Meetings


Monday October 6th

Work Session of Village Growth Area Rezoning / Revised Language

Village Steering Committee / Input of Village Growth Area Rezoning Proposal

Interview for Opening on Planning Commission / Bruce Hicken

Application for Town Forest Designation in National Register of Historic Sites / Sarah Graulty

Adoption of New Wastewater Rates

Municipal Planning Grant Application



Howard moved the Board vote to adjourn at 10:45 p.m., second by Andrea and approved.



Respectfully submitted,

Valerie Spadaccini, secretary




Copyright © 2008 Town of Hinesburg, Vermont.