Selectboard Meeting

December 1, 2008


Attending the meeting; Jon Trefry, Andrea Morgante, Ken Brown, Randy Volk, Howard Russell, Jeanne Wilson, Al Barber, John Kiedaisch, Rocky Martin, Karen Cornish.


Meeting called to order at 7:00 p.m.


Karen Cornish / Administrative Assistant for Planning & Zoning Department: Karen met with the Board and discussed the position. Howard moved that the Board vote to offer the position of Administrative Assistant for Planning & Zoning to Karen Cornish, as outlined in the employment letter dated December 1, 2008. Second by Randy and approved.


John Kiedaisch, Hinesburg Land Trust / Land Trust Project and New Town Forest

John told the Board the Land Trust received approval on the sketch plan for the land that will be developed from the project. He is submitting changes with a new approach.

He proposes taking out the small lot that previously was planned for a residence (about 3 ½ acres) and add it to the large lot (approx 16 acres) along with some land extending into the tree line. This change is due to a prospective buyer who will operate a sheep farm.


Randy asked about the change in revenue the Land Trust will receive and John said with selling only the two lots and not three they will be able to meet the financial need of the Land Trust to pay off the project.


The Board was in agreement to the proposed change and felt good about use of the field.


Continued Discussion of Wastewater Upgrade Project – Discussed with Rocky the possibility of reducing the operating and maintenance costs to help with the upgrade. Rocky said it is possible to hold off for the year on putting money into the sludge removal fund.


Jeanne will check on interest rates and terms of the revolving loan if a lesser amount is borrowed.


Jon said he feels comfortable the Town will be able to at least do a reduced upgrade.

Discussion of using cubic foot vs. ERU unit for billing purposes.


Andrea noted alternative #3 – upgrade with expansion and asked if the Board still feels there is real need for expansion. Also noting that alternative #3 requires obtaining permits.


Randy feels there is value in choosing alternative #3 now as the extra capacity is significant. Howard agreed with Randy’s statement. Ken also said he feels there is need to do the expansion.


The Board asked for cost and timeline information with and without the expansion.


Other Business


Approve Warrants: Howard moved that the Board vote to approve the warrants (including payroll warrants) for bills payable as presented by the Town Treasurer.


Second by Ken and approved.


Trial Balances for Water & Wastewater and General Fund Accounts for Period Ending 10/31/08: Howard moved that the Board vote to acknowledge receipt of the trial balances for water & wastewater and general fund accounts for the period ending 10/31/08. Second by Andrea and approved.

Minutes of November 17, 2008: Howard moved that the Board vote to approve the minutes of November 17, 2008 as amended, second by Ken and approved.


Discussion of Impact Fee Ordinance: Review 6/15/07 draft prepared by Michael Miller. Process for adoption is the same as any ordinance adoption (warn adoption as an agenda item for a regular meeting; immediately after the adoption, publish a notice in the BFP; if a petition is not filed, the ordinance becomes effective 60 days after adoption). The Board noted that the draft by Mike Miller the basis used is population based on census data and projected growth rate.

Ken said the analysis does not match the capital budget and has mathematical errors in it.


Randy asked what the real administrative costs of having impact fees are.

The Board agreed to review the capital budget to decide what item qualify for impact fees.

Andrea asked about revenues being obtained through increasing building permit fees. Jeanne said Alex looked into this, he said the fees need to be reasonable.


Howard asked about looking at comparable size communities to Hinesburg and find out how they are implementing fees and at what cost.


Randy suggested perhaps choosing one or two items from the capital budget and starting out small to see how involved it is.


Municipal Representative to CCRPC Multi-Jurisdictional All Hazards Mitigation Plan Review / Update Committee: A letter has been received from CCRPC, requesting that the Town appoint a representative to the Mitigation Plan Review / Update Committee to support the update process. The committee will meet twice – Tuesday, January 13 from 11- noon and once in the spring.


Al said he may attend if his schedule allows. Andrea suggested DRB or Planning Commission members.


Warrant for Collection of Delinquent Taxes: Howard moved that the Board vote to sign the warrant for the collection of delinquent taxes, as prepared by Town Treasurer Melissa B. Ross and dated November 24, 2008. Second by Andrea and approved.


Howard asked how this compared with the prior year. Jeanne said it is a little higher but Missy expects much of it to be paid soon. Jeanne will get information for the Board on number of parcels and dollar amount for both years.


Town Owned Shadow Lane Property / Discussion of Sale – Jeanne reported she found out the Town can collect the interest on the outstanding tax from 1957 but cannot collect taxes as no tax bills were issued. Jeanne will continue to work on figuring the money due to the Town.


Creekside Development / Acceptance of Phase 1 Infrastructure: With the completion of the Phase 1 warranty period for the Creekside development.

On the list street lights were included. Randy said he is not in favor of the Town taking over the street lights and asked if the DRB required those specific lights. Jeanne will get information about the choice of street lights. The Board agreed to remove street lights form the list at this time.


Howard moved that the Board vote to accept the following Phase 1 infrastructure:



Second by Ken and approved.


Other Board Member Items – Ken asked if the Town has a list of projects ready to go if the federal funding becomes available. Noted was Silver St. bridge, sidewalks, bridge on Texas Hill Rd.


Andrea moved the Board go into executive session for discussion of legal issues, second by Howard and approved.


Andrea moved the Board come out of executive session and adjourn, second by Ken and approved.


Respectfully submitted,

Valerie Spadaccini, secretary