Lot 15 Committee
March 8, 2011
Present: Mike Buscher, Carrie Harlow, Joe Iadanza, John Kiedaisch, Rocky Martin
Also attending: John Roos
Collected names, e-mails and phone numbers. Group agreed John K would serve as committee chair. Also agreed meetings would last no more than two hours.
Purpose of meeting tonight – division of responsibilities, discussion of roles.
JK – we should think about use not only for the short term, but also long-term. What uses could this space have not only now, but in the future? What are needs that we may project for Hinesburg based on zoning and the Town Plan?
Question to answer: “Why does the town need this land?”
We can probably check with Alex W to find out projections future numbers of housing units? How many projected people?
Cost: Discussion about how to come up with this figure? There is a Grand List value – but what about fair market value? Joe I may know someone he could check with, Mike B will also check with one of his contacts. Rocky M may chat with Girouxs.
John K had a list of funding sources that Canal Meadow had been working on – he had gone onto websites to gather information. Would need to contact these sources to find out what types of projects or purchases might qualify? Carrie H agreed to research these further.
John R mentioned that he is really interested in the related cost piece…Williston has seen big changes since advent of box stores. While Williston charges an additional 1% sales tax to help cover additional services, there may be decades of $$ and needs to compare what retail tax comes in versus increased costs for services (public safety, roads, traffic, etc).
Mike B believes there must be some statistical information available such as census data.
The question asked is how far to take the cost analysis? John K commented that similar debates must have occurred in other towns (St Albans, as an example) – Mike B mentioned a DRB “technical review” or engineer traffic report? Mike B will send John K a website with information about determining economic impacts.
Discussion came back to Division of tasks:
A1 – Discussed and a number of staff will look to resources to collect information
A2 – Rocky can check this info (John R had already researched it – he clarified $$, where numbers he found came from.
A3/4 – Carrie H will look into more in depth
B1/B3 – Mike B agreed to look at. Committee decided to leave B4 for now.
Discussion about stormwater implications under B task list; John K asked where does water now flow as a system? Should we ask about implications of such a project on runoff?
C – Mike B and Joe I will work on parking requirements, implications and options.
D – Rocky will take this on using some of the information supplied by John R
E – Rocky will take this on and outline this
F – Other implications to consider: expenses of owning this property or potential income the property may provide.
Meeting adjourned at 8:48 p.m.