Lot 15 Committee
September 29, 2011
Present: Carrie Harlow, Joe Iadanza, John Kiedaisch, Rocky Martin
Also in attendance: John Roos
Update: Two responses to bid request for appraisers have come in. Deadline for responses is 10/3.Scheduled next meeting for 10/13.
The funding sources document was recently sent to the committee. In addition to the information provided, it was recommended that there be a narrative summary about possible sources and potential impacts based on steps taken to acquire the property. Carrie will work on a summary for the research on funding sources.
Discussion regarding documents from John R, regarding Williston tax rates as compared to Hinesburg, and cost/benefit analysis of commercial development. Williston has on file a “Cost of Development Study” by Del Duca Associates (2002) which addresses impacts and benefits of “large retail and other large regional land use.”A copy of this report was shared with John R.Will use conclusions of the study for report to Select Board.
• John K wondered about the correlation between Williston and Hinesburg and impacts of commercial development.Is there a way to attach numbers specific to Hinesburg to the information found from Williston?
• Joe I noted that there are a couple of key figures to include, including sales tax revenue and commercial development values.From that and other figures in the report, can compute data that can be used for the Select Board.
• In looking at the information from Williston, we can use information in the report, however will need to qualify that Hinesburg is not necessarily Williston.However, the analysis regarding Williston could be extrapolated for Hinesburg for future consideration.
• The committee discussed whether or not it was necessary to share the Del Duca study with the Select Board.It was recommended that a summary be written with information attached that says the full report “is available upon request.”
Focusing on the commercial development impacts on the education tax component of the report: Members of the committee agree that the information compiled appears to be pretty straightforward.
• John R said that comments made last week on the documents were helpful in clarifying initial information presented.
• Suggestions were made for editing purposes on the document.Joe will look at the documents presented and make suggestions/comments/additions.
Rocky asked what information from the John R’s analysis will be provided as part of the report. Joe responded that he thinks information regarding commercialdevelopment, impact on tax rates and cost/benefit analysis should be shared with the Select Board – not necessarily as it relates to Lot 15 individually, but in considering future growth overall in the town.
Joe recently sent a revised document regarding information he collected from VLCT regarding eminent domain. The committee will read this and send comments to Joe.
Next meeting scheduled for Thursday, Oct 13, 7 pm.