Hinesburg Trails Committee
February 16, 2011
Present: Stewart Pierson, Greg LeRoy, Jane Sheldon, Jason Reed, Cathy Ryan, Michelle Fisher, Peter van Vranken, Lenore Budd
1. Minutes of the 1/19/11 meeting were approved as submitted.
2. The Committee’s budget has a balance of $425 but we owe $77.80 to Glaeser Signs for materials for a trail sign prototype.
3. Stewart provided an update on the planned sidewalk along the east side of Route 116 Commerce Street and Riggs Road. NRG and the Quick Stop gas station are working out the final easement details. Construction will likely occur during the summer of 2011. North of Riggs Road a grass path will continue to CVU Road.
4. Jason and Stewart reported that recreation issues dominated the 1/23/11 Town Forest public forum.
a. Neighbors complained about the volume and speed of traffic of those accessing the Old Town Forest for recreation. There was much anecdotal input but little hard data to back up or refute these claims. Peter suggested that signs along the lines of “Drive as if this were YOUR neighborhood” be installed.
b. There also seems to be some sentiment to close some of the existing trails within the Forest. Lenore asked how and when the Trails Committee should get involved in the process of deciding which, if any, trails should be closed. She noted that not all trails are of equal value/importance and suggested that factors such as wildlife habitat, timber management plans, etc. need to be considered in addition to the Committee’s vision for a town-wide interconnected trail network.
5. Lenore reported on positive conversations with two Mead Farm Road Association landowners about a proposed LHTF trail connection across their common land. Lenore and Stewart will attend a potluck dinner with the association in March to further discuss the proposal.
6 . Michelle gave a positive review of the first of two trail design webinars from the University of Minnesota Forest Resources Extension Service that Greg and TNC had recommended.
7. The Committee approved the revisions that Colin and Lenore made to the trails survey for the upcoming Town Meeting. Lenore will ask the Town Clerk to make 300 copies.
8 . Michelle presented a new version of a town trails brochure. A few more edits were suggested, which Michelle will incorporate. Because there may be more changes soon, we will use color printers (rather than a professional printer) to create enough copies for Town Meeting.
9. Jason submitted a successful application for a SCHIP grant for sign materials and supplies and we have already received a $1000 check! He has also submitted an application for a VT Recreation Trails Fund mini-grant ($500) for sign materials and supplies for next year. He will put together a sign prototype for the Committee to review at its next meeting.
10. Lenore has sent letters and maps to the three landowners (in addition to Sleepy Hollow) affected by a proposed public foot trail between Texas Hill Road and Magee Hill Road. If she doesn’t hear from them in the next few weeks she will follow up by phone.
11. The Committee will have a table at Town Meeting on 2/28/11 to raise awareness of the trail network and the Committee’s work. In addition to homemade baked goods, we will have trail brochures, surveys, and trail maps to distribute.
12. Discussion of a project for National Trail Day in June was tabled until the next meeting.
13. Lenore distributed color photocopies of a prototype trail blaze design. Lenore will compile the Committee’s suggestions and ask the designer to incorporate them in a final design and get a price quote from a sign producer for the next meeting.
14. Upcoming Hinesburg Record articles will be written by: Stewart (March), Cathy (April), and Lenore (May).
Next Meeting: March 16, 2011