Hinesburg Trails Committee
April 20, 2011
Present: Stewart Pierson, Cathy Ryan, Peter van Vranken, Greg LeRoy, Jane Sheldon, Michelle Fisher
The meeting was called to order at 7:05 p.m.
1) The previously approved minutes were reviewed.
2) Stewart provided the financial report. We have $962 left in our account, now that the bill has been paid for the new blazes. This amount is from the SCHIP grant so can be carried over to next fiscal year, which starts July 1.
3) The “High Rock” trail – Stewart’s neighbor, Regie Robinson was concerned that naming the newly finalized trail “High Rock” would be confusing to folks looking to get to the High Rock Cliff on his property. Stewart suggested that the committee come up with an alternate name. Several were suggested (Shadow Rock, Genesis, First Trail, Lavigne-Buck). No decisions were made and committee members are to see if we can come up with additional ideas before one is selected.
4) New kiosks and signage - Stewart showed photos of the kiosk at the Economou Road entrance of the Old Town Forest, and we all agreed that style should be copied for the next ones we build. An additional suggestion was made to provide space for temporary or seasonal notices, which currently are just being tacked to the bottom of the kiosk.
We agreed that the kiosks should be placed at the trail heads, but that additional signs in the form of the name of the area should be placed at the entrance to parking areas to help identify where to find the trail head. Cathy suggested we also make up a graphic of a hiker to place a few yards before that sign to alert drivers to the upcoming entrances. Stewart noted that funds for all the signs at the LaPlatte area will be paid for by the LaPlatte Headwaters Fund. Stewart is exploring other funding sources for the Russell Farm trails sign project. The current sign for this area should be repaired and the new kiosk should be placed behind the Lyman Meadow field backstop, where the trail begins.
Peter suggested that we use the Front Porch Forum to get volunteer workers and/or donated materials for the kiosks. He agreed to be point person for any responses. Michelle will get specifications of materials and dimensions from Brook Scatchard so Peter can be prepared to answer any questions which might arise.
5) The signs that Jason has developed and is getting produced for the Russell Farm Trails will be ready in time for the June 4th Trail Day projects.
6) The tire clean-up project at the LaPlatte Headwater area – State Stream Management people came to assess the situation and suggested that the tires be left where they are, that erosion will be worse if they are removed. They also suggested that the trail be rerouted away from that area to minimize future erosion.
7) The white painted blazes on Copp-Welsh/Lewis Creek trails, put up 3 years ago, are holding up well. Future projects will include re-blazing and re-signing the entire area using Jason’s interior signs and Lenore’s new HART blazes.
8) Stewart requested that the June meeting be moved from the 15th to the 8th, as he will be gone most of the summer. Everyone attending agreed and Stew will talk to Aaron Kimball regarding putting that change on the town web site. Greg noted that the wording for the Trail Committee section on that web site is misleading. It sounds as if anyone can join the committee when it should read that anyone can attend meetings.
9) The June 4th work day – Plans will be finalized at the May meeting.
10) Stewart reminded us that the going away party for Colin McNaull will be at the Budd’s at 5:30 p.m. June 4th. Committee members should bring the dish they agreed to provide for the previously scheduled, but cancelled, event.
11) Peter and Lenore are attending a May 7th pot luck dinner with the Mead Farm residents to finalize the agreement for their allowing a trail to connect the LaPlatte Headwater trails to the Gillespie-Copp Welch trails. This agreement would avoid our having to cut a trail through the very narrow strip which does currently connect the two areas but which is through wet lands.
12) Lenore is also in the final stages of getting landowner permission to connect the Sleepy Hollow ski area to Texas Hill, allowing connection to the Old Town Forest.
13) Upcoming articles for The Record will be written by Lenore (May issue, due April 27th) and Stewart (June issue, due June 1st). No paper is issued in July so the next writer needs to volunteer for the August issue, the deadline for which is August 3rd.
The meeting was adjourned at 8:15 p.m.