Village Steering Committee
November 14, 2011
VSC Members Present: Michael Buscher, George Dameron, Catherine Goldsmith, Rolf Kielman, Aaron Kimball, Jane Starkweather, Dona Walker
VSC Members Absent: none
Meeting called to order at 7:05 p.m., Hinesburg Town Hall
1. Opening comments. Welcome to Catherine Goldsmith, newest VSC member. The Select Board confirmed her at their October 24, 2011 meeting. Thank you Rolf for your time as chairman over the last several years.
2. Meeting Minutes: The October 10, 2011 VSC meeting minutes were approved.
3. VSC Report to the DRB, re: Hannaford application: George updated the group on the written presentation for tomorrow night's DRB meeting. Discussion about when our report will be presented. George has been in contact with Peter in the Planning office as to when we will speak to the board. The group agrees that it is important that if (and it sounds like this will happen) Hannaford will be submitting more info about their application on December 6th the VSC really needs to comment on the new information as well.
Rolf spoke about the VSC's first public comments earlier this year to the the DRB, and about the first draft of the submitted Hannaford application. In our comments on this second round of the revised application we will acknowledge changes made, but will also highlight the many significant points we spoke about that were not addressed.
4. State Planning Conference: Catherine reported about the State Planner's annual conference in Newport last Friday that she attended. The theme of the event was "Complete Streets". Featured speakers were: Dan Burden and Gary Toth. She outlined some of the highlights the speakers talked about when building safe roads and pedestrian friendly walkways.
5. Sidewalk Update: Mike spoke about sidewalk and road improvements along the stretch between Commerce Street and M'ville Road. The town had a scoping study done. Mike has talked to the town (Rocky) about getting a transportation grant to get sidewalks done.
6. Discussion about the VSC budget for the coming year: Benches for the town walkways are a priority. Rolf will look into some costs and designs for benches for the town.
7. Hinesburg Village Signs Updates: Signs are complete and in our possession. Rolf will place place stakes in the ground where the signs will go. Dona will take care of getting written statements from land owners granting permission.
8. Next Meeting: December 12, 2011
Meeting adjourned at 8:55 p.m.
Aaron Kimball, VSC Secretary